Friday, May 22, 2009

No Virginia, There Is No Magic Formula!




This Thursday's design topic on The Skirted Roundtable (http://www.theskirtedroundtable.blogspot.com/) involved art in the home; choosing it, hanging it, editing collections of it, etc. Every aspect of hanging art was touched on; how high, how low, whether to match or not match, family photos displayed or not. Each designer seems to approach this aspect of design a little differently.


As I listened to Linda, Joni, and Megan argue, ahem, I mean discuss their opinions on all this, a very big thing stuck out to me; there isn't always a sure-fire formula for many of the design dilemnas we often face. I think sometimes you just work from instinct, something innate. It's a way of seeing things that sometimes cannot be explained.


To be sure, there are design principles that always hold true, but, as they say, rules are sometimes meant to be broken, too. Design isn't an exact science, as much as we wish it were sometimes.





Sometimes more is more...






Sometimes hanging isn't even the answer...





Here we have these three successful designers, and they have three very distinct visions in dealing with hanging art. And I am sure any installation done by any one of the three would be fabulous.








Mirror on mirror can be very effective...



I think if there is one thing we can be sure of, it is that design is art and therefore individual interpretation of the principals of design will always vary somewhat. What is important is the finished product, the creative flow between the interior and the designer.



Sometimes less is more...


(And to Joni, Linda, and Megan: Vive la difference!)

13 comments:

cotedetexas said...

Thank you so much! I LOVE that first picture = to me, that's exactly how it should be done.

Joni

Southern Chateau said...

I agree, Joni! I love it. Pure elegance is purely simple. Carol

Boxwood Terrace said...

Art hung too far above a sofa or table reminds me of a man who wears his pants too high above his waist. The painting in the first photo paired with the animal print side chairs is stunning! Deborah

Maria Killam said...

Love your tutorial as well!

Beth Connolly said...

I just found your blog though The Skirted Roundtable and Cote de Texas and it is excellent!

Sanity Fair said...

Great post - I love the examples. Your observations are very true - and they're exactly why we keep coming back to interior design and other creative art forms. If there were a prescription for how to do it "right," it wouldn't be creative and interesting!

Sanity Fair said...

P.S. I really enjoy your blog - especially as a fellow Southern blogger :) I've added to you my blog roll, and I look forward to reading more!

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home said...

Hi! My first visit to your blog... love the photo of the pitcher of iced tea...and the sugar water with a sprig of mint to use to make sweet tea. I call Nashville home. ...susan

Southern Chateau said...

Thanks for all your comments! I love having you all come over and visit and I really hope you'll come back.

Linda Merrill said...

Thanks for the mention! And I love the little tableau with the green apples! I like a more informal display like that!

Its Just Another Day In Paradise said...

The more I see the less is more and the collection of art on a mantle or table the more I really love this. Thanks again for the reminder that this is pretty chic and I will be using more and more of it. Thumbs UP

Unknown said...

Well, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Im positive that it will be very popular. It has good and valuable content which is very rare these days. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Thanks...
bespoke kitchen furniture

Unknown said...

It is a great website that is for Hot English Magazine. Thanks for your great effort.