Monday, September 10, 2012

I Tried Being a Normal Design Blogger



I am sure that my handful of faithful readers has noticed that I disappeared from the blog landscape over the last few months.  It wasn't because I didn't think about you guys or my little blog that I do love, it's just that I felt kind of hopeless about blogging.  Life threw me some big curves over the last few months; so big that they rocked my world.  My Dad, my sweet Daddy, became very ill with Alzheimers last fall.  It was aggressive and cruel.  We lost him just a few weeks ago.  I struggled to work while focusing so hard to do everything I could to help him.  But the worst happened anyway. 

During this time, I would feel like writing and I would open up my blog and sit and stare at the screen.  I knew that I should post some pretty pictures of furnishings, lighting, accessories, all the things all of us design enthusiasts love to look at every day.  The problem was, I didn't feel like talking about any of that.  Those things seemed pretty insignificant to me at that point.  So, I didn't write.  I felt very much not like a design blogger.  Normal design bloggers are always happy, have perfect homes and perfect lives, right?  At least that's how it appears on so many of the blogs.  And maybe my readers don't want to hear about serious, real life.  I don't know.  But that is what will be discussed here.  Life.  And yes, how our homes, our workplaces, and our design dreams all fit into our very real lives. 

They say the truth always comes out.  The truth is I guess I not a normal design blogger.  But I am a designer and I love it and I am passionate about it.  So hopefully we can all hang together, be real, and talk about all the beauty the world has to offer those of us living in the real world.


"And I'm glad to say I've enjoyed every day of the full catastrophe of life"
John Mellencamp





14 comments:

CD said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. Your posts are beautiful.

Southern Chateau said...

Thank you so much, CD.

Linda Merrill said...

Very sorry for your loss Carol. I lost my sweet Daddy a couple of years ago and yes, my blog seemed very insignificant for a while. And other life issues have also intervened since and my blog has simply morphed into the place where I share what I'm interested in or doing, but much less about looking perfect or pretending life is perfect. And I've lost interest in the bogs that merely show their decorated lives, they just don't seem real anymore.

Deb said...

Dear Carol, I'm so sorry about your dad. Loss is never easy, and it's a very personal experience. That said...this is YOUR blog, so please write about what you need/want to! Take the burden off yourself of trying to please your readers, and do what makes YOUR heart sing.

Lauren said...

So sorry about your Dad, such a difficult time. I completely agree with Deb, do what makes you happy, it's your blog and your posts are always wonderful and I'm sure they will continue to be:)

Lauren

Sandra said...

I am so sorry to hear of your struggles and the loss of your dad - I hope that you and your family are healing and are comforted by your memories of him before his illness. As for the blog, I always enjoy getting to know the person behind the blog also and appreciate when a blogger "keeps it real"- life isn't always perky and pretty. This is your blog - be faithful to whatever your heart is telling you to do!

Meranda S said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I haven't lost a parent yet, so I couldn't imagine what you are feeling. Even though he is not here in life, he lives in your memories. Blogging can be challenging. When we see a blog that always has content, the first thing that comes to my mind, is what has the person sacrificed for such great content? Family time, outings? Sunday afternoons out? Sometimes the best blogs are about true feelings, and thoughts of the pressing issues around us. We all love to be inspired by these posh homes, but at some point real life kicks in. Life isn't about things, and nice interiors around us. It is about relationships, and our love for God. If we have not loved, we gain nothing. Huge Blessings to you my dear....

Rebecca R. Dyer said...

My deepest sympathy to you and those who loved your dad.

Beauty is healing and I wish you both.

Rebecca R. Dyer

Southern Chateau said...

Linda- Thank you so much and my sympathies for your loss as well. It means a lot to me that you, a well-known design blogger, gets what I am saying. Much love my friend.

Southern Chateau said...

Deb, thank you so much for reading and giving me the encouragement to come back and write.

Southern Chateau said...

Lauren, your comment just makes me feel warm and happy that I can connect with such wonderful people. Thanks for reading and being a friend.

Southern Chateau said...

Sandra, thanks so much for reading and commenting here. Knowing I have wonderful friends and readers like you means so much to me.

Southern Chateau said...

Meranda, your sweet sentiments have touched my heart. As I said, we all love the beautiful homes, etc. but real life does kick in as you said and life is about the important things; family, God, and living an authentic life.

Southern Chateau said...

Rebecca, thank you for your sweet words. It continues to be a rough road back to my life as known before, but friends such as you make the journey a little easier.