Saturday, July 24, 2010

My Sentiments Exactly


"I have spent my life obsessed with houses and the beautiful things that go in them. Not for the false glamour of having “things”, but for the art and story behind the homes—the designers and the craftsmen and the ingenuity of it."       Haskell Harris (Garden and Gun magazine)

I could have written these words myself.  I have always, as long as I remember, been obsessed with houses, too.  So many people think that working in this business means that you are into what Haskell calls "the false glamour" of it all, but I know, for myself it is just as she feels; it is about the family who lives there and their story.  Even the stories of those before them.

Maybe it's just a Southern thing.....

http://gardenandgun.com/blog/love-first-house

5 comments:

Nick Lovelady said...

GREAT quote, from perhaps the finest Southern culture magazine in print.

I read it cover to cover each issue, each piece a gem!

Tee said...

I agree. A house decorated for glamour and show can't hold a candle to a home made for the art, story and soul, because glamour houses have no soul.

Hope you are doing well!

Mona Thompson said...

I love this and totally agree.

Unknown said...

I don't think its just a southern thing; I am the same. When I meet with clients the first time I think I surprise them b/c I want to see the family photographs, I ask them about the way they "live" in their house with their families. I truly try to get to the "heart" of the home.. what the family is all about, what they love, etc. I like to "feel" the love in a home the minute you walk through the front door.

Anonymous said...

Top web site, I hadn't come across southernchateau.blogspot.com previously in my searches!
Keep up the wonderful work!